Picking Your First Bow
- Bow type. Recurved bows are simple in design, affordable and have a more traditional and rustic feel. However, these bows provide less accuracy, velocity and distance with regards to shooting. Compound bows, on the other hand, are easier to aim and shoot, and they provide faster arrow speed. They’re also more expensive and they require more accessories—such as a sight, a rest and a release.
- Hunting vs. target shooting. A hunting bow is usually short, compact and light since it needs to be easy to manipulate while hunting. It also has a higher draw weight in order for the arrow to effectively penetrate the body of big game animals. Target shooting bows typically have a longer brace weight and axle-to-axle (ATA) length. This makes them easier to handle and increases accuracy and stability.
- Used vs. new. Buying a used bow is an affordable way to familiarize yourself with bow hunting. However, they might now always be set for your draw length and draw weight or in the best of conditions, particularly the string, cables and limbs. It might have been a good inexpensive venture at first but may end up very costly in the long run. New bows are obviously more expensive, but they often come with packages that include accessories and a warranty from the manufacturer.
- Where to buy. Shopping online is an affordable and accessible way to buy a bow. The problem here, though, is that you won’t be able to handle it before making a purchase. Specialized archery shops not only allow you to test your bow, they also have experienced and qualified staff on hand to help you select the right one and properly set it up to your specific requirements.
- Cost. After you have tried several Bows and you have a good idea of which ones you like, it’s time to look at Costs. Keep in mind that the bow accounts for only a portion of the total cost. There are accessories you’ll need to factor in like a sight, a rest, arrows, a release and possibly a case. Ultimately find the configuration that gives you a bow that you like to shoot with the accessories you feel comfortable with and that fits into your budget.
Edmonton’s One-Stop Archery Shop
If you’re in the market for a new bow, come see the experts at Trophy Book Archery Ltd. We have a full range of hunting equipment, accessories and attire to get you started. Give us a call today to speak with one of our friendly staff members!